Monday, October 23, 2006

Person Centred Wonder!

I have hoped to provide an opportunity for others in the person centred field to see / seek out innovative ways of using the person centred approach within their working and personal lives.

A moment of wonder I want to share.

I had the cheek, bare faced cheek I say, to ask an eminent American professor what his views were on the late Carl Rogers. He is a great authority on Carl Rogers and I emailed him with a query. It was a shot in the dark, but was about the most pertinent of questions: did Carl Rogers ever have an ethical dilemma in swaying from his own approach into the use of any other at ANY time? This was pertinent to my own self discovery and ethical wrangles within., and I wanted to write about this in my disseration.

I was in wonder when I received his email reply.

He answered my query and stated he was 'happy to answer my questions'

I can't say how that made me feel. I suppose there is just a moment or two when someone could say to themselves , "well why not?" and really go for what they want in life.

I wrote a piece on women in business and creativity, where I state 'I am my own limitator' . and that is exactly how I feel about anything I momentarily feel unsure about. ( Like emailing an eminent professor).

This is also about conditions of worth constantly being processed and overcome. I have opened up to opportunity and facing easily, others choices to not respond, act, partake etc etc. In the therapeutic setting, when we encourage our clients through their process to explore a range of options, ideas, dreams, desires, we are also readily saying ' I have done that too. I have walked these roads, and I am able to assess the limits that affect my life choices, with courage and determination.

How easy that is to say and recall in our work as counsellors, but congruency with this too?

Talk the talk, AND walk the walk? without....... telling ourselves it was our CHOICE not to do such and such. etc.

What does the term 'back burner' really mean in our lives? how does our congruency affect our deliberation of future life decisions?

My email reply became a processed moment on condtions of worth for me. I didn't expect a reply ( he's a busy / clever, eminent, man. ) but when I recived it. It was the wonder of the condions of worth moment that really gave me further insight into myself.

warm wishes,

Tish
Patricia Mata
copyright 2006

No comments:

Powered By Blogger